Moanalua Gardens Foundation
Cultural and Environmental Education in Hawaii
1352 Pineapple Place, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819-1754
Phone: (808) 839-5334; Fax (808) 839-3658
mgf-hawaii@hawaii.rr.com

Home

Support MGF

About Us

School

Exploring the Islands

Ohia Project

Links

Resources

Kamananui Valley

Hula Festival

Hawaii Needs Care

Map to MGF

MGF Store

Kamehameha V Cottage

Prince Lot, who later became Kamehameha V, owned a cottage now located in Moanalua Gardens next to a kalo patch, a fishpond, and Chinese Hall. The cottage, built during the 1850s, is a single-story wooden structure laid out in Hawaiian style with a Victorian motif. The building is comprised of three separate units: a cooking and eating unit; a living and sleeping unit; and an entertaining pavilion (this third unit is a post-Kamehameha V addition). The units are all attached to each other by a series of roofed lanai.

The exterior wall of the center building is made of clapboard whereas that of the dining and kitchen hall is made of board and batten. The exterior trim is of Victorian Gingerbread (the cresting), accenting each of the different roof styles of the units (gable, simple shed, hip, and domelike roofs). The single unifying factor of the roof in the overall building is the consistent use of wooden shingles.

The original cottage (the center unit) was very simple with minimal ornamentation. The revival of hula performances may have had some influence on the construction as the original cottage had a lanai that completely surrounded the building where hula could have been performed for invited guests.

In 1856, Prince Lot built the kitchen and dining unit as a separate building using tongue-and-groove material with vertical molded battens over the joints. When Bernice Pauahi Bishop, last of the Kamehamehas, died in 1884, she willed the ahupuaa (land division) of Moanalua to business partner Samuel Mills Damon. In the 1900s, Damon renovated the cottage and used it as a residence. In 1961, lattice work around the building was added, and around 1972-1973, a new shingled roof was installed.

The building has been situated at three different Moanalua sites since its original construction. It was moved to its present location in 1960.

For safety reasons, the cottage is off limits.

Hula Festival

History

Protocol

Feature Article

Festival Chant

Photo Gallery

Map to festival

Chinese Hall

Bus Information

Hula Festival T-shirts

Support MGF




All rights reserved.
revised 25 June 2007
Hawaiian diacriticals have been intentionally omitted.